Wikidata now live on all Wikipedias
(Die deutsche Version dieses Eintrags ist hier .) Today we have enabled Wikidata’s language link support on all remaining Wikipedias. (So …
- Lydia Pintscher
- 6. March 2013
(Die deutsche Version dieses Eintrags ist hier.)
Today we have enabled Wikidata’s language link support on all remaining Wikipedias. (So all 282 remaining ones except Hungarian, Hebrew, Italian and English.) This means the links in the sidebar that link to articles on the same topic in other languages are now coming from Wikidata.
What does this mean exactly?
- Language links in the sidebar are automatically coming from Wikidata, once the article is linked on Wikidata. No special syntax is needed for that.
- Existing language links in the wikitext will continue to work and overwrite links from Wikidata.
- For individual articles, language links from Wikidata can be suppressed completely with the noexternallanglinks magic word.
- Changes on Wikidata that relate to articles on this Wikipedia show up in Recent Changes and Watchlist, if the option is enabled by the user. (There are still some issues with this when you have enhanced recent changes enabled.)
- At the bottom of the language links list you will see a link to edit the language links that leads you to the linked page on Wikidata.
- You can see an example of how it looks in the article about the long-eared hedgehog.
- The second phase (which is about statements/infoboxes) is in use on Wikidata, but can’t yet be used on any Wikipedia. It is scheduled to be enabled on the first few Wikipedias at the end of the month. The rest will follow soon after that.
An FAQ for editors is here and documentation exists here.
Staying up-to-date and contributing
There are several ways to stay up-to-date on everything happening around Wikidata. The weekly status updates are the most important ones. You can add yourself here to have them delivered to your talk page on-wiki. There is also Twitter, identi.ca, Facebook and Google+.
If you’d like to contribute to Wikidata this page is a good start.